Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Victoria Day

A day late for the holiday, nonetheless. It was celebrated yesterday. Victoria Day is celebrated in Canada on the Monday before the 25th of May. Officially, she was born May 24, 1819. Victoria Day became an established holiday in 1901. Victoria was the Queen of England. Most Canadians probably can't tell you what is celebrated on this day, they just know it makes for a "long weekend".

The youth in our ward will put a Canadian flag in your yard on this holiday~~ and Canada Day (July 1) and Remembrance Day (November 11) for $40. It is their fundraiser for girls camp and scout camp. The other wards in town also exhibit flags, so there were alot of flags yesterday!!
I prefer to buy and fly my own Canadian flag (which I have not yet done.) But you can bet my American flag will be waving next Monday for Memorial Day!!

2 comments:

We Three Queens said...

Does Canada have many Americans living there? Hey, you could be like the Puerto Rican's here. Hang an American flag from your rear view mirror or put a bumper sticker on the bumper declaring your love and affection for another country. That should impress the Canadians!

Cyndi said...

How's it feel to be an immigrant? Hey, the way I see it, we and Canada are one anyway...right? Things are good here, we love Phoenix!! Crazy I don't know why, but we do. The boys are getting big for sure and life's moving on. Do you Facebook?